Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Portland Airiport

This may sound strange but I really liked the Portland airport. Over the years I have spent a lot of time there, but never landed there as my final destination. It's great, there is free Internet, people movers, lots of windows and skylights, great places to eat, an abundance of comfortable seating, and quite possibly some of the nicest employees I have even encountered in an airport.

The ID checker and I had a delightful conversation about how bad my drivers license picture is, I even did a reenactment for him, of how it went down. Next the security people joked with us about being members of the Taliban - because I guess our bouquets looked quite interesting in the x ray machine.

A general rule of thumb for airports: If you want people to talk to you, carry around a bouquet. Seriously so many people complimented our flowers, and asked about the wedding. We had one man take a final farewell photo of us when we left Megan at her gate. He thought we were carrying around lettuce, ha. But then he got really into being a photographer, he informed us right off, he was going to take a few photos, then he directed us to get closer together and took 3 photos from different angles, he was pretty funny.
The only downfall to the Portland airport was that they managed to loose my luggage. This has become quite a normal thing for me, I have lost three bags in the last two years. Angela and I dropped our bags off at the exact same time, hers made it home mine did not. Hours after our landing in LAX it was found in Nashville. When the lady from Southwest called me to give me an update I felt like she was talking about a person not a suitcase. It has been found in Nashville she said. In the morning it will board a flight for Denver, where it will then continue on to LA, landing at 11:35am.

Well it landed in LA all right, and was given to a currier service for delivery. They informed me that it would be delivered between 8 and 9 that night. I thought it was strange that it would be so late, but whatever my bag was returning home and I would actually be home to receive it. Well ten o clock rolled around and I gave up. The bag would not be coming home.

I was startled awake at 11:20pm. Yes that's right I was asleep. My bag was finally home. I jumped out of bed, and ran for the gate. Probably a little dangerous going out at that hour to meet a stranger at the gate, but I know RADS.......so I was pretty sure I would be ok. I signed off and finally was reunited with my lovely suitcase. As I went to carry it up the stairs I saw that both of the handles had been broken off. SO lame, after going missing for two days it was returned broken. Not cool southwest, not cool.

2 comments:

Becky said...

The flight was free though : ).. Still you should maybe send off a couple emails about it. Who knows maybe they'll give you something. I think your suitcase just wanted a little extended vacation. It saw the whole country LA to Portland to Nashville to Denver, Wow!

lindsey said...

I think I would at least write a letter about that one again. That is ridiculous that the handles were broken.