Tuesday, September 7, 2010

HOOVER like the vacuum

Angela and I LOVE a good roadtrip. And three day weekends, so it was only natural that we combined the two and headed out for some adventures in the blazing hot Arizona. Some people thought we were crazy, but we knew we could do it and enjoy every second of it. We managed to hit up the Hoover Dam, the Grand Canyon and stop by Phoenix for a day and a half, and maybe read a book in there somewhere too. Now that is what I call a weekend. (The full details of the trip will come over the course of a couple different posts, this being the first)

Friday night after work and a quick dinner we loaded up the Matrix and hopped on the 57 North, Boulder City NV bound. We were oh so thankful not to be taking the 91, only encountering very minor traffic on the 57. We tried to make a spontaneous stop along they way and do a little shopping at some outlet malls, but sadly they closed a mere 15 minutes before we arrived. 4.5 hours after leaving Fullerton we arrived.

We (or rather I) decided that since we were going to the Hoover Dam we had to go all out. So we stayed at the Historic Boulder Dam Hotel, complete with museum, gift shop and the all important free breakfast and coffee in the lobby.


Enjoying a little history.


As I said we were going ALL out.

YUM!!!
We LOVE LOVE LOVE breakfast.
We got up bright and early for our second day. Arriving downstairs for breakfast at 6:30, right when they opened, we had our pick of seats.

After a quick stroll around the Historic area of Boulder City we moved onward to the Dam.
See the new bridge being built? It's HUGE. It opens in October, shoot we just missed it.


Since we started our day so early the tours were not running yet. So we didn't get to go inside, which was kind of a bummer, I didn't get to see if Megatron was still inside, but we did enjoy a nice walk across.

Standing on the state line.


We saw signs that said for more information on Lake Mead, or Hoover Dam tune into AM --- (I don't remember the actual station) so we of course tuned in. I guess we thought they would tell us some history or fun facts, but no all we got was weather and boating conditions. So Angela had to read us the info from tour books she got from the Library (talk about being prepared).

No comments: